Monday 24 October 2011

Things I might like to do back at home in December...

1) Download a video and watch it simultaneously without interruption.  
2) Wash some clothes in a washing machine. 
3) Go to a store and receive correct change.
4) Take a hot shower (probably because it'll be cold!) 
5) Eat some snow, why not?
6) Drive past the amazing Christmas light display on 97 street and 144 avenue. 
7) Stay up til 3 or 4 playing cards, who's up for it?!
8) Go to a movie.  
9) Drive a car!
10) Think about eating at Arby's, but then deciding against it.

Things I'll leave behind in Haiti...

1) A legion of children who call me Teacher Jeremy.  The name still cracks me up, especially when said with a Haitian accent.
2) A cell phone that's better than my model back home, weird.
3) LIzards in my room.  Some spiders.  A few ants when there's food out.  No more bed bugs though.
4) Beautiful consistent sunrises and the ease of waking up to its warm glow. 
5) The habit of correcting people's broken English.  Unless you want me to critique you :)
6) Bad internet, that forces me to read and look introspectively into myself and my surroundings.
7) Dogs, roosters, bumpy roads, tap-taps, air pollution, palm trees, mountain views, one room abode
8) Meals with our ever changing community of people.  Met some lovely Americans down here!
9) More than I have missed back home so far, no offense, you know what I mean. 
10) My best buddy here, Jean Gaudy.  I must bring him to visit some day, you would love him too.  When someone laughs his guts out because he just spelled the words ART, RAT and TAR with only 3 Scrabble word tiles, you know you've met a gem.  

A quote I read today.  Maybe it fits, maybe not, but I like it.  

Spirituality is about seeing.  It's not about earning or achieving.  It's about relationship rather than results or requirements.  Once you see, the rest follows.  You don't need to push the river, because you are in it.  The life is lived within us, and we learn how to say yes to that life. 

-from Everything Belongs by Richard Rohr

1 comment:

  1. great post Jeremy & Stacey! Miss you guys! Let me know if you ever come down to Victoria or if you feel like stopping by, I'm sure i can find a room for you guys to crash. Much love! -kokes

    ReplyDelete